July 22-25 (Grand Hyatt, Washington, DC)
- Submit a workshop proposal: https://bit.ly/47vDxBg
- Important information for presenters: https://bit.ly/3ubPP38
- Deadline: January 22, 2024
NCIL is excited to announce our 2024 Annual Conference on Independent Living! The theme of this year’s conference is Back to the Future. With this theme, we invite everyone to revisit our foundational values and look to a future that embraces disability justice – loving all bodies and leaving no one behind.
NCIL’s Annual Conference is designed to provide peer support, organizing, advocacy, and learning opportunities. It is the largest Independent Living event of the year. NCIL regularly hosts over 600 people, including grassroots advocates, CIL and SILC leadership, members of Congress, government officials, and representatives from other organizations that work for justice and equity for people with disabilities.
This year’s conference will take place onsite in Washington, DC. NCIL will host 25 in-person workshops this year. Select workshops may be asked to voluntarily record their presentations to be posted to the NCIL archives.
NCIL seeks workshops in the following tracks. Priority will be given to workshops that address these topics through the lenses of anti-racism; Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion (DEAI); and disability justice.
- Youth, Young Adults, and the Movement: Workshops addressing youth with disabilities, youth leadership, employment, and transitions.
- Intergenerational Leadership: Workshops looking into how we can work together as leaders of different generations and experiences to lead the IL Movement into the future.
- Back to Our Future: Workshops addressing the history of systems advocacy and the “it factor” of our past and present leaders. This track will offer insight into the roots of Independent Living and discuss how we can use history to move forward together.
- Technology & Innovation: Workshops that explore recent technological innovations and ideas and how they have promoted independent living philosophy.
- Independent Living Across the Globe: Workshops that look into how disability and independent living work abroad and what we can learn from each other.
In addition to these priorities, NCIL’s Annual Conference Subcommittee encourages workshops that seek to improve the skills and resources of IL staff to carry out the core services of CILs and operate strong SILCs.
- Please see NCIL’s Important Information for Presenters (https://bit.ly/3ubPP38) for further details before planning your proposal.
- A proposal form in Word (https://bit.ly/3Gc6PsK) is available for those who are unable to complete the online form or wish to use it for planning purposes.
Presenters and facilitators are not exempt from registration fees. Presenters must register and pay for all days they plan to attend. Presenters that attend only their session and no other events do not need to register or pay.
Deadline for Submission is January 22, 2024. No proposals will be accepted after 11:59 p.m. Eastern time.